Dr. Alexander Hainen
- Assistant Professor
Areas of Research
- Traffic Signals
- Transportation Operations
- Geometric Design
- Transportation Safety
- Airport Engineering and Design
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2014
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2011
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 2009
Dr. Alex Hainen is an assistant professor in the department of civil, construction and environmental engineering at The University of Alabama. He received his bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from Michigan Technological University and his master’s degree and doctorate from Purdue University.
His research interests include traffic signals, transportation operations, travel mobility and airport engineering. He has worked with departments of transportation in Michigan, Indiana, Utah and Alabama and with George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG). He has 30 peer reviewed journal articles and 20 additional conference proceedings.
Publications and Patents:
- Lidbe, A.D., Hainen, A.M., Jones, S.L. “Analytical Techniques for Evaluating the Implementation of Adaptive Traffic Signal Control Systems”. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems, 2017; 143(5). DOI: 10.1061/JTEPBS.0000034.
- Lidbe, A.D., Hainen, A.M., Jones, S.L. “Comparative study of simulated annealing, tabu search, and the genetic algorithm for calibration of the microsimulation model”. SIMULATION , 2017; 93(50): 21-33. DOI: 10.1177/0037549716683028.
- Lidbe, A.D., Tedla, E.G., Hainen, A.M., Sullivan, A., Jones, S.L. “Comparative assessment of arterial operations under conventional time-of-day and adaptive traffic signal control”. Advances in Transportation Studies, 2017; 2017(XLI). DOI 10.4399/97888255035241.
- Lidbe, A.D., Tedla, E.G., Hainen, A.M., Jones, S.L. “Feasibility Assessment for Implementing Adaptive Traffic Signal Control: A Case Study”. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems. Accepted July 2018.
- Talukder, M.A.S., Hainen, A.M., Remias, S.M., Bullock, D.M. “Route-based mobility performance metrics using probe vehicle travel times”. Advances in Transportation Studies: an international Journal Section B 46 (2018).