Dr. Armen Amirkhanian
- Assistant Professor
Areas of Research
- infrastructure materials characterization
- non-destructive testing and evaluation
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2012
- B.S., Ceramic and Materials Science Engineering, Clemson University, 2009
Dr. Armen Amirkhanian’s research interests are broadly based in infrastructure materials characterization with a primary focus on cementitious materials. Past research has been on emerging concrete pavement topics such as two-lift paving and internal curing. Current research topics are exploring the areas of alkali-silica degradation characterization, atomic-scale characterization of alkali-activated materials, and durability issues associated with concrete pavement rehabilitation.
Amirkhanian has been principal investigator or co-PI on projects with the Oregon, Alabama, South Carolina and Maryland Departments of Transportation. He is a professional engineer registered in Oregon, Alabama, South Carolina and Florida.
Amirkhanian is a voting member on American Concrete Institute committee 213 and an associate member of ACI committees 236, 242 and 325. He sits on the board of directors of the International Society of Concrete Pavements.
Publications and Patents:
- Coyle, A., Spragg, R., Suraneni, P., Amirkhanian, A., Tsui-Chang, M., and Weiss, W., “Activation Energy of Conduction for Use in Temperature Corrections on Electrical Measurements of Concrete,” Advances in Civil Engineering Materials, 8(1), pp. 158-170, (2019)
- Montanari, L., Amirkhanian, A., Suraneni, P., and Weiss, J., “Design Methodology for Partial Volumes of Internal Curing Water Based on the Reduction of Autogenous Shrinkage,” ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 30(7), (2018)
- Amirkhanian, A., and Roesler, J., “Impact of Fine Lightweight Aggregate on Curling Behavior of Concrete Pavements,” ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, (2017)
- LaHucik, J., Dahal, S., Roesler, J., and Amirkhanian, A., “Mechanical Properties of Roller-Compacted Concrete with Macro-Fibers,” Construction and Building Materials, 135, pp. 440-446, (2017)
- Amirkhanian, A., Spring, D., Roesler, J., and Paulino, G., “Forward and Inverse Analysis of Concrete Fracture using the Disk-Shaped Compact Tension Test,” ASTM Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 44(1), pp. 625-634, (2016)