Dr. Chukwuma (Chuma) Aham Nnaji
- Assistant Professor
Areas of Research
- Construction Health and Safety
- Decision Support Systems
- Computational Modeling
- Construction Automation
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Oregon State University, 2018
- M.B.A., Innovation Management Track, Oregon State University, 2017
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Oregon State University, 2015
- B.S., Building, Imo State University, Nigeria, 2010
Dr. Chuma Nnaji is an assistant professor in the department of civil, construction, and environmental engineering.
Nnaji holds a bachelor’s degree in building from Imo State University, Nigeria, an MBA from Oregon State University’s College of Business and an master’s and doctorate degree in civil engineering from the School of Civil and Construction Engineering at Oregon State University.
His research focus is on formulating strategies and developing decision support tools that enhance construction safety and health, sustainable construction, human-machine interactions, construction automation, workforce development in different construction environments. Specifically, Nnaji leverages computational tools (e.g., predictive modeling, agent-based models, and discrete event simulations) and emerging devices (e.g., smart sensors, augment and virtual reality, exoskeletons, and building information modeling) to develop and evaluate innovative solutions needed to attain a sustainable construction workforce.
Nnaji has published his research in reputable outlets such as the American Society of Civil Engineering Journal for Construction Engineering and Management and the American Society of Safety Professionals Professional Safety Journal. He has presented his research to local, regional and international audiences.
Publications and Patents:
- Nnaji, C., Gambatese, J., Karakhan, A., and Osie-Kyie, R. “Development and Application of Safety Technology Adoption Decision-making Tool,” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, (2019) 10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0001808
- Okpala, I., Nnaji, C., Karakhan, A., “Utilizing Emerging Technologies for Construction Safety Risk Mitigation,” Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction (2019)
- Nnaji, C., Karakhan, A., Gambatese, J., and Eseonu, C., “Influential Predictors of Safety Technology Adoption,” Engineering, Construction, and Architectural Management Journal, (2019)
- Nnaji, C., Lee, H., Karakhan, A., and Gambatese, J., “Development of Decision-Making Framework to Select Safety Technologies for Highway Construction,” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, (2018)
- Karakhan, A., Rajendran, S., Gambatese, J., and Nnaji, C., “Measuring and Evaluating Safety Maturity of Construction Contractors: Application of Choosing by Advantages Decision-Making Method,” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, (2018)
Honors and Awards:
- ASCE ExCEED Fellow, 2019
- Most Outstanding Graduate Student, School of Civil and Construction Engineering, OSU, 2018
- National Science Foundation Travel Grant, 2017
- Best Business Plan Award (2nd), MBA Capstone Competition, OSU, 2017
- Best graduating student (3rd), Department of Building, Imo State University, 2010