Dr. Xinwu Qian
- Assistant Professor
- Office: 3011 Cyber
- Phone: (205) 348-1613
Areas of Research
- Transportation network modeling
- Smart and Shared Mobility
- Network Science
- Data-Driven Optimization
- Data Analytics
- B.S., Transportation Engineering, Tongji University, 2012
- M.S.E, Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2014
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2018
Dr. Xinwu Qian joined the University of Alabama as an assistant professor in Fall 2020. Before that, he worked as a postdoctoral associate in the Lyles School of Civil Engineering at Purdue University, where he led the DOE-funded project on developing energy optimal transportation platform for urban transportation hubs with autonomous and electric vehicles.
His research focuses on promoting efficient and sustainable urban mobility with multi-source mobility data. He develops network models to understand the system dynamics of emerging mobility markets and builds operation algorithms to optimize the efficiency of large-scale mobility systems. He also investigates the structural and functional dynamics of urban mobility networks, where his Ph.D. dissertation explained how communicable diseases propagate in urban transportation systems. He has over 15 publications in premier academic journals and over 20 peer-reviewed conference proceedings.
- Qian, Xinwu, et al. “Impact of transportation network companies on urban congestion: Evidence from large-scale trajectory data.” Sustainable Cities and Society 55 (2020): 102053.
- Lei, Zengxiang, Xinwu Qian, and Satish V. Ukkusuri. “Efficient proactive vehicle relocation for on-demand mobility service with recurrent neural networks.” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 117 (2020): 102678.
- Qian, Xinwu, et al. “Optimal assignment and incentive design in the taxi group ride problem.” Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 103 (2017): 208-226.
- Qian, Xinwu, and Satish V. Ukkusuri. “Taxi market equilibrium with third-party hailing service.” Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 100 (2017): 43-63.
- Qian, Xinwu, and Satish V. Ukkusuri. “Time-of-day pricing in taxi markets.” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 18.6 (2017): 1610-1622.
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding reviewer for Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 2018
- PGSG Travel Grant Award, Purdue University, 2018
- Finalist, Chorafas Foundation Award, Purdue University, 2018
- Nomination of Schmidt Science fellows, Purdue University. 2017
- Pai-Tao-Yeh fellowship, Purdue University, 2016