Dr. Gary P. Moynihan
- Associate Department Head
Areas of Research
- Information Systems Development
- Project Management
- Economic and Operations Analysis
- Industrial Engineering Applications
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, University of Central Florida, 1990
- M.B.A., Operations Management, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1980
- B.S., Chemistry, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1978
Dr. Gary Moynihan’s primary areas of research specialization are information systems development, including management information systems, decision support systems, and expert systems; economic and operations analysis; project management; and industrial engineering applications.
He has served as principal or co-principal investigator on research grants and contracts that have been funded by NASA, the U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command, the Federal Aviation Administration, BellSouth Telecommunications, Mercedes-Benz, and the Alabama Department of Transportation.
Moynihan co-founded and for 12 years served as assistant director for the Alabama Industrial Assessment Center, which is a Department of Energy funded center dedicated to assisting manufacturing facilities in energy cost reduction, productivity improvement, waste minimization and pollution prevention.
He has published more than 150 articles in books, journals and conference proceedings, and has five software copyrights. Moynihan is a certified Project Management Professional, or PMP, through the Project Management Institute, since 2013.
Prior to joining The University of Alabama, Moynihan was employed for 10 years by Martin Marietta Orlando Aerospace, where he was a manufacturing engineer, industrial engineer, and a systems analyst for a variety of company programs, including missile defense and fixed wing/rotorcraft avionics. He has also held production supervisor positions in the computer and chemical processing industries.
Publications and Patents:
- Moynihan, G.P, and Chau, A.D., “Application of Decision Support Technology for Conceptual Cost Estimation,” Engineering Management Research, 13, pp. 30-41, (2019)
- Moynihan, G.P. (ed.), “Contemporary Issues and Research in Operations Management,” InTech Publishing: London, (2018) (DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.71209)
- Zhang, X., Moynihan, G.P., Ernest, A.N.S. and Gutenson, J.L., “Evaluation of the Benefits of Using a Backward Chaining Decision Support Expert System for Local Flood Forecasting and Warning,” Expert Systems, 35, pp. 1-14, (2018)
- Zhang, X. and Moynihan, G.P., “An Expert System for Local Flood Control Response Coordination and Training,” Engineering Management Review 6, pp. 1-15, (2017)
- Moynihan, G.P. and Fonseca, D.J., “Design of an Evacuation Demand Forecasting Module for Hurricane Planning Applications,” Journal of Transportation Technologies, 6, pp. 257-276, (2016)
Honors and Awards:
- Elected as a Fellow of the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers, 2016
- U.S. Department of Energy National Center of Excellence Award, 2011.
- Institute of Industrial Engineers National Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award, 2007.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Ralph R. Teetor National Engineering Educator Award (Aerospace Category), 2000.
- Outstanding Faculty Member as chosen by the students of the Department of Industrial Engineering, 1994-95, 1998-99, 2000-01, 2006-07.