Dr. Jun Liu
- Assistant Professor
Areas of Research
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Connected & Automated Vehicles
- Transportation Planning
- Transportation Safety
- Transportation Data Analytics
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Tennessee, 2015
- M.S., Statistics, University of Tennessee, 2015
- M.S., Transportation Planning & Management, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, 2011
- B.S., Transportation Engineering, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, 2008
Dr. Jun Liu, is an assistant professor of civil, construction and environmental engineering at The University of Alabama. His primary areas of research interests are innovations related to intelligent transportation systems, connected and automated vehicles, transportation planning, highway safety and operation, and sustainable transportation.
Liu has published 25 refereed papers in premier transportation journals and three book chapters in the area of connected and automated vehicles. He also has more than 50 conference presentations/papers and invited talks.
Liu is a member of TRB Standing Committee on Transportation Safety Management and a member of TRB Standing Committee on Geo-spatial Data Acquisition Technologies. He is also a National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Panel Member for NCHRP 20-102(22) State and Local Impacts of Automated Freight Transportation Systems.
He currently serves on the Inaugural Editorial Board of Transportation Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board. He is also an Editorial Board member of the Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems.
He has served as a principal investigator, co-principal investigator or key researcher in projects sponsored by the National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Transportation, U.S. Department of Energy, Tennessee Department of Transportation, Texas Department of Transportation, Virginia Department of Transportation and Alabama Department of Transportation.
Liu received his doctorate in civil engineering from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Prior to joining The University of Alabama in 2018, Liu worked as a transportation planner at Virginia Department of Transportation and as a post-doc researcher at the University of Texas at Austin.
Publications and Patents:
- Liu, J., Hainen, A., Li, X., Nie, Q. and Nambisan, S., 2019. Pedestrian injury severity in motor vehicle crashes: an integrated spatio-temporal modeling approach. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 132, p.105272.
- Liu, J. and Khattak, A. 2019. Informed Decision-Making by Integrating Historical On-road Driving Performance Data in High-Resolution Maps for Connected and Automated Vehicles. Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems: Technology, Planning, and Operations, In-press.
- Liu, J., Kockelman, K.M., Boesch, P.M. and Ciari, F., 2017. Tracking a system of shared autonomous vehicles across the Austin, Texas network using agent-based simulation. Transportation, 44(6), pp.1261-1278.
- Liu, J. and Khattak, A.J., 2016. Delivering improved alerts, warnings, and control assistance using basic safety messages transmitted between connected vehicles. Transportation research part C: emerging technologies, 68, pp.83-100.
- Liu, J., Wang, X. and Khattak, A., 2016. Customizing driving cycles to support vehicle purchase and use decisions: Fuel economy estimation for alternative fuel vehicle users. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 67, pp.280-298.
Honors and Awards:
- Inaugural Editorial Board Member, Transportation Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board
- 2018 Small Grants Program Award, The University of Alabama
- Best Reviewer, Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering (English Edition)
- Winner of Distinguished Scientific Paper – Americas, 2016 Intelligent Transport Systems World Congress in Melbourne, Australia