Dr. Jialai Wang
Areas of Research
- Sustainable infrastructure materials
- Nanotechnology and its applications in civil engineering materials
- Portland cement based concretes
- Adaptive building envelope systems
- Living materials for well-being in the built environment
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Structural Engineering and Advanced Materials, University of Akron, 2003
- M.S., Civil Engineering, China University of Mining and Technology, China, 1996
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Anhui University of Science and Technology, China, 1993
Dr. Jialai Wang’s main research efforts focus on material innovations to enhance the resilience and sustainability of civil infrastructure systems. His current research topics include:
- Synthesis and characterization of innovative sustainable materials, including low and non-clinker construction materials, fiber reinforced polymer composites, sponsored by NSF CMMI #0927938, #1000580.
- In-situ nanoparticle production for better performance of structural materials, sponsored by NSF CMMI #1000580, #1761672, NASA NNX13AB80A, NNX13AL42H, NNX14AF49A.
- Adaptive building envelope for multi-hazard mitigation and energy efficiency, sponsored by NSF CMMI #1563551, DOE DE-EE0008677.
Publications and Patents:
- Peiyuan Chen, Jialai Wang*, Liang Wang, Ying Xu, 2019. Perforated cenospheres: A reactive internal curing agent for alkali activated slag mortars, Cement and Concrete Composites 104 (2019) 10335.
- Wang, L., Wang*, J., Xu, Y., Cui, L., Qian, X., Chen, P., and Fang, Y., “Consolidating recycled concrete aggregates using phosphate solution,” Construction and Building Materials, 200, pp. 703–712 (2019)
- Qian, X., Wang*, J., Fang, Y., and Wang, L., “Carbon dioxide as an admixture for better performance of OPC-based concrete,” Journal of CO2 Utilization, 25, pp. 31-38, (2018)
- Wang, J. 2018. Renewable admixtures for cementitious compositions. U.S. Patent Application US201862686405.
- Wang, J. 2017. Microencapsulation of materials using cenospheres. U.S. Patent Application US20170030077A1.
Honors and Awards:
- 2016, Best Paper Award, the 8th International Conference on Fibre-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites in Civil Engineering (CICE 2016) in Hong Kong, China on 14-16 December 2016.
- 2016, Outstanding Paper Award, Fourth International Conference on Sustainable Construction Materials and Technologies SCMT4, 7th -11 August 2016, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- 2010, ASCE ExCEEd teaching fellow.