Dr. Pauline D. Johnson
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Institute
- Office: 1111 Bevill
- Phone: (205) 348-3577
- Fax: (205) 348-0783
Areas of Research
- STEM education
- Experiential learning
- Community engaged scholarship
- Sustainable water and wastewater treatment systems
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, The Queen's University Belfast, N. Ireland, 1992
- P.G.C.E. Education, St. Andrews College, Glasgow, Scotland, 1986
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Salford, Manchester, England, 1983
Dr. Pauline Johnson’s research interests are in the areas of water and wastewater treatment, sustainability, and the student engagement in community service learning. She has incorporated these diverse interests into innovative local and international engaged scholarship research projects involving infrastructure development, solar energy and the testing and treatment of water and wastewater for underserved communities. She works on multidisciplinary research teams and has received major grant funding from national funding agencies such as NSF GK-12, NSF REU, WERF and the EPA.
Johnson is also involved with a project for the NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates National Academy of Engineering Grand Challenges Program.
Publications and Patents:
- Stauber, CE, Wedgworth, JC, Johnson, P, Olson, JB, Ayers, T, Elliott, M, and Brown, J., “Associations between Self-Reported Gastrointestinal Illness and Water System Characteristics in Community Water Supplies in Rural Alabama: A Cross-Sectional Study,” PLoS ONE, 11(1), (2016)
- Wedgworth, J., J. Brown, P.D. Johnson, J. Olson, M. Elliott, P. Grammer, C.E. Stauber. “Temporal heterogeneity of water quality from rural water supplies in Alabama,” J American Water Works Association, 107(8), pp. E401-E415 (2015)
- Burkett, S., Dye, T., Johnson, P., “REU – NAE Grand Challenges Site at the University of Alabama,” American Journal of Engineering Education, 6(4), pp. 125-134, (2015)
Honors and Awards:
- UA Distinguished Faculty Career Community Engagement Award, UA Center for Community-Based Partnerships, 2015.
- Donald McLean Outstanding Civil Engineering Professor Award, 2007, 2009.
- John L. Blackburn Award for Distinguished Contributions to Students, 2008.
- Chi Epsilon Honor Member Award, 2008.
- US Green Building Council LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP), 2008.