Dr. Pauline D. Johnson
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Institute
- Office: 1111 Bevill
- Phone: (205) 348-3577
- Fax: (205) 348-0783
Areas of Research
- STEM education
- Experiential learning
- Community engaged scholarship
- Sustainable water and wastewater treatment systems
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, The Queen's University, Belfast, N. Ireland, 1992
- P.G.C.E. (Education), St. Andrews College, Glasgow, Scotland, 1986
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Salford, Manchester, England, 1983
Dr. Pauline Johnson’s research interests are in the areas of water and wastewater treatment, sustainability, and the evaluation of student engagement in service-based learning. She has incorporated these diverse interests into innovative local and international research projects involving renewable solar energy, LED disinfection of turbid water, and water testing and infrastructure evaluation for underserved communities. She works on multidisciplinary research teams and has received major grant funding from NSF GK-12, NSF REU, WERF and the EPA.
Johnson is also involved with a project for the NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates National Academy of Engineering Grand Challenges Program.