Dr. Philip W. Johnson
- Professor Emeritus
- Phone: (205) 348-2669
- Fax: (205) 348-0783
Areas of Research
- Engineering failure analysis
- Water body heating for global climate change experimentation
- Sanitation and water systems in developing countries
- Service learning
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, 1990
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, 1984
- B.S., Engineering Science, Florida State University, 1972
Throughout his career, Dr. Philip Johnson has conducted and published research on high-speed centrifuges, advanced materials, turbo machinery, heat transfer, cuttings transport in drilling, using air as a drilling fluid, coal permeability, mine ventilation, multiphase and transient flow in porous media, remediation of oily soils, carbon sequestration, water-jet drilling, highway warranties, lightweight fill, construction change orders, and engineering education.
His current projects include construction change orders, rapid testing of water for potability, and the role of management in engineering failures.