Dr. Sungjin Kim
- Assistant Professor
Areas of Research
- Smart Construction and Robotics
- Building Information Modeling
- Human-Technology Interaction
- Technology Integration/Implementation
- Sustainable Infrastructure Systems
- Ph.D., Building Construction, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2018
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2013
- B.S., Architectural Engineering, Pusan National University, South Korea, 2012
Dr. Sungjin Kim is an assistant professor of the department of civil, construction and environmental engineering at The University of Alabama.
Kim is a leading expert in the area of advanced technologies, robotic systems, and data informatics, or BIM, in civil engineering and construction domains. He has significant scholarly activities in the fields of construction and infrastructure.
Prior to joining The University of Alabama in August 2018, he worked with the Georgia Department of Transportation during his doctorate. He has assessed the technical effectiveness of unmanned aircraft systems and evaluated the human performance of UAS operators, and developed user guidelines based on the field tests on the different types of the infrastructure projects, such as airport, railway, bridge, and road construction and maintenance.
Kim received his doctorate in building construction from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 2018, a master’s degree in civil and environmental engineering from the University of California, Berkeley in 2013, and completed his undergraduate degree at Pusan National University in February 2012.
Publications and Patents:
- Kim, S.* and Irizarry, J. “Human Performance on Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Operations in Construction and Infrastructure Environments,” ASCE Journal of Management in Engineering, (2019)
- Kim, S.*, Chang, S., and Castro, D. “Dynamic Modeling for Analyzing Impacts of Skilled Labor Shortage on Project Management” ASCE Journal of Management in Engineering, (2020)
- Kim, S.*, Paes, D., Lee, K., Irizarry, J., and Johnson E., “UAS-based Airport Maintenance Inspections: Lessons Learned from Pilot Study Implementation” 2019 ASCE Computing in Civil Engineering I3CE conference (2019), Atlanta, Georgia
- Kim, S.* Won, H., Choi. M., Hong, Y., And Irizarry, J. “A Theoretical Concept of Heterogeneous Robot for Infrastructure Maintenance System (HR4IMS) in Future Smart City” Sustainable Built Environment (SBE) 2019 Seoul Smart Building and City for Durability and Sustainability, (2019) Seoul, South Korea
- Kim, S.* Irizarry, J., and Costa, D., B. “Potential Factors Influencing the Performance of Unmanned Aerial System Integrated Safety Control for Construction Worksites” 2016 Construction Research Congress (CRC) (2016) San Juan, Puerto Rico
Honors and Awards:
- Graduate Research Assistantship, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Graduate Research Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley
- Pat Harris Denver Chapter Scholarship, International Facility Management Association
- Mok-Hun Academic Fellowship, Fursys Mok-Hun Scholarship Foundation
- Full Academic Scholarship Honor, Pusan National University