Program Objectives, Student Outcomes and Statistics
Program Educational Objectives
The educational objectives of the University of Alabama’s Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCivE), Bachelor of Science in Construction Engineering (BSConE), Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering (BSArchE), and Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering (BSEnvE) programs are to have graduates who, within a few years of graduation, are in demand and lead fulfilling professional careers, in their chosen area of professional practice, through their demonstrated abilities to:
- Apply foundational knowledge of mathematics, science, humanities, and social sciences;
- Synthesize technical knowledge of engineering analysis and design to identify, formulate, and solve problems; and
- Employ their professional practice skills.
Students, upon completion of the BSCivE, BSConE, BSArchE, and/or BSEnvE programs, will be able to:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that met specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgements, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgement to draw conclusions.
- An ability to require and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Enrollment and Graduation Statistics
The University of Alabama Office of Institutional Research and Assessment maintains annual enrollment and graduate data for the programs in the College of Engineering. Please visit the OIRA Statistical Profiles website to find statistics for student enrollment, degrees awarded and faculty data.