Program Objectives, Student Outcomes and Statistics
Program Educational Objectives
The educational objectives of The University of Alabama’s Bachelor of Science in civil engineering (BSCivE), Bachelor of Science in construction engineering (BSConE), Bachelor of Science in architectural engineering (BSArchE), and Bachelor of Science in environmental engineering (BSEnvE) programs are to have graduates who, within a few years of graduation, are in demand and lead fulfilling professional careers, in their chosen area of professional practice, through their demonstrated abilities to:
- Apply knowledge, sound judgment, and technical skills to design or implement sustainable solutions to problems.
- Expand their knowledge of current and emerging issues to meet evolving challenges facing society with a strong commitment to career-long professional development and lifelong learning.
- Exhibit ethical behavior, effective interpersonal and communication skills, and professional accountability in all career endeavors.
Students, upon completion of the BSCivE, BSConE, BSArchE, and/or BSEnvE programs, will be able to:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that met specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgements, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgement to draw conclusions.
- An ability to require and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Enrollment and Graduation Statistics
The University of Alabama Office of Institutional Research and Assessment maintains annual enrollment and graduate data for the programs in the College of Engineering. Please visit the OIRA Statistical Profiles website to find statistics for student enrollment, degrees awarded and faculty data.
The Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering is dedicated to advancing the profession through its innovative, student-centered education and research programs. The faculty and staff are committed to preparing graduates for entry into the profession, educating future leaders of the profession, and conducting and disseminating meaningful basic and applied research for the betterment of the state, nation and global communities.
The Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering will be a leader in education and research, recognized nationally and internationally for quality and innovation.
The Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering will:
- Provide high-quality, innovative, and comprehensive educational experiences for our students
- Produce an increasing number of exceptional bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral graduates
- Increase external funding for sponsored programs that supports research of relevance
- Foster an environment supportive of excellence and innovation in education, research and service.
The Department has developed a comprehensive strategic plan supporting our mission, vision, and goals.